Notes from 10/23/14 - Encounters in Rowansmeade

Talk about the Tarrastra D&D campaign here.
Caelesti

Notes from 10/23/14 - Encounters in Rowansmeade

Postby Caelesti » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 pm

The party went to the temple of Arianrhod. The high priest praised the party for first stopping the giant attacks and then eliminating the growing black sphere that was engulfing the town. He was unable to cast the True Resurrection spell, but gave the party a glowing letter of recommendation to present to the high priestess in Rowansmeade (plus 10,000 gp from their coffers) in the hopes that she would cast the spell to restore Torin.

The party next went to visit the sage. The sage said that he appreciated what the party had done, but hoped that it had happened faster. Still, the sage acquired funds from the treasury, as the Earl had not been seen since he was swallowed up by the dark sphere, and gave the party money to help restore Torin .. so much so that the party gave the 10,000 gp back to the church.

Carric cast Teleport to return the party to Rowansmeade. They headed first to the Temple. On route, a street urchin approached Caelesti and said the new master wanted to see her. Caelesti said she understood, and the urchin told another near Talon to "put that back!"

At the temple, a True Resurrection was successfully cast on Torin.

Caelesti went to the where she recalled the thieves' guild was. As she moved toward the front door, she was called off to the side of the building and led in through a secret. The master was friendly and recalled Caelesti's past better than she did. Her disguise was lifted and Mavis was standing there. She had a quest for Caelesti to recover an item inappropriately taken. She said she'd tell the others, as it seemed like a noble quest. Mavis agreed to meet with the party the next day.

Carric and Talon went to visit Siobhan where she was singing at the Soft Shoe. They reminisced.

Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

So, when Caelesti was talking to Mavis:

Caelesti: We Do Good these days.
Mavis: I understand! Steal from the rich, sell to the poor...

I commented that that was from Firefly (true) by Malcolm Reynolds (false). Turns out, it's actually from Wash. In the "Ariel" episode, unsurprisingly.

Gotta get your pop culture right. :)

Talon

Talon's version

Postby Talon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:07 pm

We went into town, hoping to be rewarded monetarily. Instead the town's Grand Poo Bah was being praised for doing all the work by the townsfolk and the minor officials. We were poo-pooed and then ignored.

So we went to the Temple of Arianrhod, hoping to be rewarded monetarily or at least have our brave, fallen companion, Torin, resurrected. The Arianrhod High Priest gave us verbal praise for killing all manner of giants and banishing the Dark Sphere (taking our word that we did it). However, the diety of the Arianrhod High Priest was too stingy to resurrect our brave, fallen companion.

After some increasingly obvious hints about our personal losses, including our monetary losses, on the town's behalf, the Arianrhod High Priest finally granted us a paltry 10,000gp to divide among the 6 of us! Oh, and he gave us some words scribbled on a piece of paper which were intended to convince the more generous diety of the Rowansmeade High Priestess to restore our brave, fallen companion. (By the way, the body of our brave, fallen companion was really starting to stink by then.)

Then we went to the Town Sage to recite our good deeds and air our monetary woes. The Town Sage said, "good work, but why were you so slow about it?" However, because the Town Earl had not returned from the Dark Sphere and his treasury was sitting "unguarded"!! - the Town Sage gave us 25,000gp to restore our brave, fallen (and stinking) companion.

Sigh! All that gp sitting in that treasury unguarded, going to waste, and we just walked away. And not only that, but THEN Yoshi insisted that we ALL return our share of the 10,000gp to the Arianrhod High Priest and his stingy diety!! I tried to talk sense into my companions but they all just went along with it like sheep. Baaaaah!

FINALLY Carric cast Teleport and returned us to Civilization (Rowansmeade). Armed with our brave, fallen, stinking companion and some scribbled words on a piece of parchment, we made a beeline for the High Priestesss. However, a grubby street kid with a bad accent ran up to Celestie and slurred, "Thay Mastaar wanna see Yaw now."

Like a lamb to slaughter, off Caelesti went.

The rest of us, and our brave, fallen, stinking companion, finally made our way successfully to the High Priestess of Rowansmeade. Her refreshingly generous diety resurrected Torin in the blink of an eye. So our brave companion is back in the pink. Sadly, though, he still stinks. Torin needs to wash the rot of out of his clothing or burn it and buy new. (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

Carric and myself heard that my good, talented, and always fragrant cousin, Siobhan, was performing at The Soft Shoe. For a breath of fresh air, we hurried over to see her!

Carric charged into the building ahead of me and then slammed the door to Siobhan's dressing room in my face. What was THAT all about? I heard Siobhan insist that Carric let me in. I thought Carric's weasel might have been showing, but I'm not sure, as Carric hurried away all red in the face when I entered Siobhan's room.

After catching up a bit, Siobhan asked why there was nothing romantic between Carric and myself during all those long, lonely adventures we had together. I explained that Carric has "Special Needs" which make him not my type. When pressed I finally explained about how Carric turns into a male Eagle and goes off for long jaunts "exploring" with his femaile Eagle "companion." I'm just not into that kind of thing. Siobhan understood - completely!

Siobhan asked why I would adventure with a party who gives back their reward money and stays poor. (Self-imposed poverty is NOT for us cousins.) I said the party was good cover and protection for me when traveling to new places to perform. However, I have been very disappointed in them of late.

Siobhan then invited me to travel up north with her to visit my grandmother, a Silver Dragon who can take human form. I haven't seen GrandDragga in ages and she ALWAYS has a luxurious lair, so I agreed!

Caelesti came back later and said loudly, and in front of the Tavern patrons, "I met up with Maivis at the Thieves Guild and she asked me to help her get a valuable item away from someone else tonight after dark." I rolled my eyes and acted like I wasn't with Celeste and I didn't know her.

Then Mongo and Yoshi came in and said they heard that Nessey's parents had received a mysterious package and had gone away or were upset and planning to go away or something like that - and did we all want to look into it?

That sounds somewhat intere$ting to me. However, I'd still rather go see GrandDragga.

-Talon-

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:27 pm

At the DM's gentle suggestion, we should investigate all three leads at least a little to determine which to pursue.

Hazen

Re: Talon's version

Postby Hazen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Talon wrote:The rest of us, and our brave, fallen, stinking companion, finally made our way successfully to the High Priestess of Rowansmeade. Her refreshingly generous diety resurrected Torin in the blink of an eye - but sadly in exchange for our remaining "reward gp" - making that diety not so generous after all.

I don't know if Talon missed it, but that is not the case. The cleric in Rowansmeade resurrected Torin for free. I.e. we still had the Earl's 25,000gp. We had a party discussion, and decided that the best use of the party funds was to buy Carric a ring of assay spell resistance (usable once a day), and to buy Goggles of Night for Yoshi. The ring will allow Carric to affect creatures with spell resistance, and the goggles will allow the party to travel without a light source (which easily gave away our presence and position), since Yoshi was the only one of us without dark vision.

Talon

a generous diety after all!!

Postby Talon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 pm

I will update Talon's tale to praise the true generosity of the diety from the temple in Rowanesmeade!

Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Some clarifications:

1) The High PriestESS of Arianrhod in Istivin would have happily given Torin a true resurrection - had she not been only, oh, 12th level or so. I specifically said, during the session, that she wasn't high enough level to cast the spell that the party wanted - although she would happily have done a raise dead for him. 5th level spell, costs 5,000 gp.
2) She emptied the coffers of the (small) temple to give the party 10,000 gp - and wrote a note to the High Priestess of Arianrhod in Rowansmeade.
3) The temple of Arianrhod in Rowansmeade is larger and more prosperous, and the town is not recovering from a recent catastrophe. Additionally, the High Priestess is at least 17th level, and so is capable of true resurrection. Even though the party had the funds by then, she did it for free.
4) Much as her equivalent in Istivin would have done, had she been capable of it.

Considering that Talon seems to be seeing everything in terms of rewards and stinginess and such, perhaps the "G" in her new NG alignment stands for "greedy", eh? ;)

Veracity

alignment

Postby Veracity » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:31 pm

I didn't think I was allowed to change Talon's alignment since I was made fun of for suggesting I change Mambo's.

As per the tale, it was intended to be amusing.

Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader

Re: alignment

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Veracity wrote:I didn't think I was allowed to change Talon's alignment since I was made fun of for suggesting I change Mambo's.

We "made fun" of you for saying "I will change Mambo's alignment from C to L and thereby abandon all of her Barbarian abilities, since a Barbarian cannot be L". That alignment change made no sense whatsoever.

Changing Talon from N to NG may or may not make sense, but it would not invalidate your Bard levels, at least.

Veracity

levels

Postby Veracity » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:52 am

I had wanted to show that Mambo changed in some significant way (like no longer being a Barbarian) from her time with Lady M. Since she is already well powered, as many have pointed out, I didn't think the loss of raging would matter much to the success of our party when we later joined up.

Return to “Tarrastra”