Treasure - Logistics

Talk about anything you want here. Remember: we're all friends!
User avatar
Veracity
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Treasure - Logistics

Postby Veracity » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Assuming we have agreed to the following... Let's talk implementation/logistics here. I'll start. Please change/add.

Distribute gp and magic values roughly evenly over time:
(A) Create tables that list current holdings of party and individuals
(B) Create either a gp value system or a point value system for assessing items.
(C) Add up values per PC.

Allow individual choices:
(A) Let PCs bid on new items via a gp system or a point system.
(B) Encourage PCs to swap items as situations change.
(C) Allow PCs to manage their own gp.

NOT require DMs to "plant" items unless it relates to a particular quest:
(A) Pay attention to clues as to what items might be needed to complete a quest.
(B) Assign a "scribe" to record and read off our goals to remind us.

Account for the "closed" systems in both worlds:
(A) Don't have Magic Shops per se.
(B) Have places where PCs can sell ordinary types of loot (ie: regular chain mail and masterwork short swords) for gp OR at least be able to barter these for other kinds of supplies.
(C) Have places where PCs can have items silvered, master-worked, and sized.
(D) Have places where PCs can purchase one-use items such as potions and scrolls (of appropriate level).

Appraising an item even when we don't know everything about that item:
(A) Have at least 2 PCs per party with "appraising" skills.
(B) Have at least 1 PC per party who can cast Identify.
(C) Create a point-value system based on known or suspected characteristics of an item: magic vs not magic, number of uses, versatility, effects, damage/protection pluses.

User avatar
Veracity
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Veracity » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Veracity volunteers to create the tables listing treasure found and assigned.

Veracity volunteers to work with 2 or more other players to create a point system for valuing items found. (IMO, ideally, two DMs and at least 2 players should work on this via skype sessions out of game.)

Suggestion (to avoid gp issues):
-Assign (best guess) point values to items found.
-Each PC starts with a set number of "achievement points" when they pop to a new level.
-PCs bid on new items using their points.
-PCs can choose to save up points across levels or spend until out of points that level.
-PCs can "loan" each other points.

User avatar
Hazen
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Sigil

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Hazen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Veracity wrote:Assuming we have agreed to the following... Let's talk implementation/logistics here. I'll start. Please change/add.

Distribute gp and magic values roughly evenly over time:
(A) Create tables that list current holdings of party and individuals
(B) Create either a gp value system or a point value system for assessing items.
(C) Add up values per PC.
Please no point system. We have gp - let's use gp. Even if items can't be sold at the moment, they have a gp value. Let's use that. If we do adopt this system, then just assign each hoard a value, and divide by the number of characters - as in the past.

Veracity wrote:Allow individual choices:
(A) Let PCs bid on new items via a gp system or a point system.
(B) Encourage PCs to swap items as situations change.
(C) Allow PCs to manage their own gp.
(A) See above. (B) This is part of role playing. It shouldn't be here. (C) If they want. Again not part of the system as long as characters are assigned a share of a gp pool.

Veracity wrote:NOT require DMs to "plant" items unless it relates to a particular quest:
(A) Pay attention to clues as to what items might be needed to complete a quest.
(B) Assign a "scribe" to record and read off our goals to remind us.

Account for the "closed" systems in both worlds:
(A) Don't have Magic Shops per se.
(B) Have places where PCs can sell ordinary types of loot (ie: regular chain mail and masterwork short swords) for gp OR at least be able to barter these for other kinds of supplies.
(C) Have places where PCs can have items silvered, master-worked, and sized.
(D) Have places where PCs can purchase one-use items such as potions and scrolls (of appropriate level).
Except for the scribe - which is player choice - and a good idea BTW, all of these are completely up to the DM, and thus are not part of any treasure division scheme. They should all be removed.

Veracity wrote:Appraising an item even when we don't know everything about that item:
(A) Have at least 2 PCs per party with "appraising" skills.
(B) Have at least 1 PC per party who can cast Identify.
(C) Create a point-value system based on known or suspected characteristics of an item: magic vs not magic, number of uses, versatility, effects, damage/protection pluses.
(A) & (B) are player choice. Also, I don't think there is a special "appraising" skill in v5.0. In the absence of these party skills and abilities, we would still need a way to assign values to items. Perhaps we can just guess? And as I said above, I reject (C) in favor of a gp based system.

Seston Tempiri
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 am

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Seston Tempiri » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:58 pm

One request. We have a short game window tomorrow, so let's not have a treasure mechanics discussion tomorrow night. At most, I'm willing to offer 10 minutes on this to point people to the forum and maybe name the key issues. 10 minutes max.

User avatar
Veracity
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Veracity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am

Yeah, I'm aware of the short window. That's why I maybe jumped the gun on trying to get us moved along here. If we can continue the talk in the forums I'm happy to NOT talk during about these topics during game nights.

User avatar
Veracity
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Veracity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am

Please no point system. We have gp - let's use gp. Even if items can't be sold at the moment, they have a gp value. Let's use that. If we do adopt this system, then just assign each hoard a value, and divide by the number of characters - as in the past.

Assigning a "hoard value" and dividing by the number of characters...

But we have already determined that there will not be "something for everyone" in each hoard. So what do we do when "there is nothing for Chip" or "nothing for Fuma?" What do we give that PC?

In Dargas, we always had plenty of cash because we could "cash out" loot we didn't need. That begs the question: now that we have found towns in both worlds, CAN WE cash out the loot we don't need? And that is a DM question.

User avatar
Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: The Unseelie Court
Contact:

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:51 am

(Please stop using "begs the question" - a type of logical fallacy - to mean "leads to the question". Thank you. :) )

If you can find somebody who wants to buy your "stuff", you can sell it to them for a mutually agreed on price, which may or may not be "book value". The same goes for buying "stuff". You might find shops selling this or that - but no guarantee the asking price is "by the book".

In both cases, its a matter of supply and demand. Sort of like real life.

User avatar
Hazen
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Sigil

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Hazen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am

Veracity wrote:
Please no point system. We have gp - let's use gp. Even if items can't be sold at the moment, they have a gp value. Let's use that. If we do adopt this system, then just assign each hoard a value, and divide by the number of characters - as in the past.

Assigning a "hoard value" and dividing by the number of characters...

But we have already determined that there will not be "something for everyone" in each hoard. So what do we do when "there is nothing for Chip" or "nothing for Fuma?" What do we give that PC?

In Dargas, we always had plenty of cash because we could "cash out" loot we didn't need. That begs the question: now that we have found towns in both worlds, CAN WE cash out the loot we don't need? And that is a DM question.

As long as we can assign a gp value to every item, we don't need to be able to cash them out. If a character gets no or lower value items then they get the cash equivalent even if it's in "loot we didn't need" (or IOUs from characters who got high value items). Wasn't that the system we were using in the past?

User avatar
Veracity
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Treasure - Logistics

Postby Veracity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am

Yes, we issued IOUs and we used "cash out values" of spare loot. I'm just concerned that we don't get "enough" gp anymore and don't have any place to "cash out" spare loot anymore.

It's possible that in Ravenloft, where we are paying in coin for food and lodging, we could cash out spare stuff in towns. And it has been possible to buy scrolls in Ravenloft. (one-use items)

In Realms, we haven't done any of that since we moved forward into the apocalypse = I believe = even though we finally came across a friendly halfling town. (Maybe that was our stupidity.)

When we do find gp in either world, it's like "spare change" in some dead fighter's pockets.

But I get your point about "we can assign values's worth owed to each PC."

I'm home sick this week. (Wont' have this kind of time again for a loooong time.) Let me think on it and see if I can post something easier and still reasonable before game tonight.


Return to “Friendly Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest