Combat

The Domains of Dread
Veracity

Combat

Postby Veracity » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Couple of us were speculating that we might have lost half the party if the bat swarms had attached. Apparently bats take half damage against regular weapons.

It will be interesting to see how we come together in combat and whether that unites us as a party.

I'm not convinced these folks would come together as a party other than as necessity. I had thought if we all took G alignments we'd have similar ways. But it appears we are quite different and not a little contentious. Will be interesting to see how that evolves.

Just a note that Rangers don't get any spells until L2 and then only 2 1stL spells. They do get a couple nice cantrips, though.

Hazen

Re: Combat

Postby Hazen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Veracity wrote:Just a note that Rangers don't get any spells until L2 and then only 2 1stL spells. They do get a couple nice cantrips, though.

Wow, I see that the spellcasting of Rangers has really been beefed up in 5e! Previously, they didn't get spells until 4th level. Under 5e, full time spellcasters - like sorcerers, get 2 first level spells at first level. It looks like Rangers get all their Ranger stuff, and are only one level behind at second level. It looks like things don't really diverge until the mid-levels. But, of course, if we pop every couple of adventures or so, it won't be a problem we'll get there in no time :-)

Veracity

Postby Veracity » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:48 pm

I should have been more direct.... My Ranger has no area spells or area weapons. So my Ranger would have been toast with the bat swarms. :!:

Seston Tempiri

Postby Seston Tempiri » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:58 am

If there were only three Vistani with us, we likely would have needed to fight our way to the wagons. Excellent tactics could have resulted in us winning, but I don't think the party is there yet.

It was an extremely deadly fight, but not a hopeless one. Plus, we had the wagons as an option. We also could have tried using the bonfire to forma ring and hold them back.

Veracity

Postby Veracity » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Excellent tactics could have ...

Do you think we could get our individual acts together on the spur of the moment to come up with tactics? Perhaps we need to nominate a "tactical leader" at some point - who could call the shots in melee?

Hazen

Postby Hazen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 pm

The other thing we need is a tactical. Whee was each of us in relation to the wagons, etc.

MercyDrake

Postby MercyDrake » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm

While there were a number of things a party could have done with the bats, we are not a party yet. Right now the characters are following the lead of the Vistani, something that may change after we talk to she who knows all. the party even needs a reason to stay together (and it is already pretty clear we can't/shouldn't go off by ourselves). I suspect the first real battle will provide some of the trust needed to weld the group together.

Selecting someone to lead can't happen until the party goes through the first battle or two and realizes it needs to organize to survive. Being mostly goods also makes that more likely.

I am fine with what has happened so far. They'll have to work together for self preservation.
Everything in moderation - including moderation!

Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 am

"DM intervention" means "DM screwup".

I should have fully absorbed that if you were in the company of the Vistani, you had a free pass until you reached Madame Eva's camp.

Now, had you refused the offer to join with them, The Mists would have risen soon enough and you'd still be on this path - but without that free pass.

You might have tarried in the Village of Barovia more, for example, and seen things - and perhaps even popped one or more times - before, by and by, your own actions controlling it, arriving at Madame Eva's camp.

I am ashamed that I didn't immediately realize that the statues were Huge. You were role-playing with your environment more than I was expecting. I hope to be fully prepared for your next adventure in Madame Eva's camp

(By the way - I am going by the event-driven poppage model - since there are so many things whose reward is "you pop" - rather than a "gain individual XP per monster defeated" model. Hopefully, it will still be a "couple of sessions" per level - which is better than I did in earlier Tarrastra GMing, when I let you pop when "it felt right".)

Veracity

Postby Veracity » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:02 pm

So we are already "stuck" in Ravenloft, right?

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Definitely, although I don't think the characters know that yet. As soon as we went through the mist.

MercyDrake

Postby MercyDrake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Agree. And I agree the characters may not be aware
Everything in moderation - including moderation!

Return to “Ravenloft”