D&D Trusted Sources

Talk about games here.
Veracity

D&D Trusted Sources

Postby Veracity » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 am

So last time I created a PC, I didn't have my books with me and I went online for what seemed like trusted sources. But "Wiki D&D," for instance, was not as "official" as I thought.

So now that I'm settled, I'm ordering more books so I can just use official books.

Question:

Are all the Wizards's published D&D 5e books (available on Amazon.com) considered valid for our worlds?

Hazen

Re: D&D Trusted Sources

Postby Hazen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 am

The Player's Handbook (PH), Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG), and the online System Reference Document (SRD) are always official (although the DM or house rules may alter individual elements of those too). Beyond that, each campaign may allow other books and sources. If a source hasn't been explicitly approved, it's best to always ask.

There are a number of places online that have a copy of the SRD. Here is one: Fifth Edition d20 SRD

Seston Tempiri

Postby Seston Tempiri » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 am

What Hazen said is accurate.

In addition, the Forgotten Realm game uses the Sword Coast supplement and I've been making use of Volo's Guide and a few other books. We also implemented the new version of the Ranger from Wizards of the Coast that can now be found in Xanathar's Guide. I'm willing to discuss players using rules for classes and races from any of the WotC product line, but it needs to fit the campaign.

That essentially means discuss before using any rules outside of the PHB or DMG (except the optional rules in those books we haven't already applied). I want to make sure everyone has access to the books used for balance and that the design would fit the campaign in its current state.

I'm not big on home brew from other games. They've rarely been play-tested widely enough to know what you're getting.

Veracity

Postby Veracity » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 am

I've got the PHB and I've ordered Xanathar's and the DMG. Before I order any other books... Do you plan to run Realms after the conclustion of the Green Lady adventures - that is, after "everything ends" per the prophecy?

it sounds like the Ravenloft DM will return to 3.5e after the vampire lord adventures conclude...

Seston Tempiri

Postby Seston Tempiri » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Barring some other consensus emerging from the players, I plan to stick with 5E. If the group decides it wants to move back, we can make it work, but I haven't heard anything to suggest a need yet.

I suspect we'll stick with these characters until people want to try something new. I'm not entirely certain that means sticking with the Realms...always.

Veracity

Postby Veracity » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Maybe the Space Spiders will offer to transport us somewhere new in their Space Ship after we clear the realm for take off. :lol: And en route we can all take turns sitting the Special Chair and become stronger or smarter or more dexterous before we arrive...

Return to “Gaming”