Invisibility

Seston's 5th Edition Meat Grinder Dungeon Crawl Campaign

Moderator: Seston Tempiri

Brianna Sollandry
Natural Leader

Invisibility

Postby Brianna Sollandry » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Last session, Amaroth bestowed invisibility on both Sedon and himself. After we failed to disarm/unlock the door the first time, the stone golems stirred and we booked it. The DM ruled that they got an Attack of Opportunity at Amaroth - at disadvantage, since he was invisible.

The ruling (presumably) encouraged Yoshi to suggest that I had mis-played improved invisibility in Ravenloft, when I did not allow the players to take Attacks of Opportunity against the invisible Strahd as he moved around.

It turns out, according to the Rules As Written, I played it correctly.

If a character is invisible, short of magic (or blindsight, if that exists in 5e), foes (and friends) cannot see him. You may still be able to sense what square he is in - exceptional hearing, exceptional sense of smell, wet footprints on the floor, he has just attacked you, what have you. If you can sense him like that, you may use the Attack action at disadvantage against your invisible foe.

However, PHB page 195 says this: "You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach."

That is unambiguous. You can only take attacks of opportunity against creatures you can see - not invisible, see invisibility spell, blind sight.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”